parks, beaches and museums
The Town of Wolfeboro was granted on October 5, 1759, settled in 1768,
and incorporated in 1770. It was granted by Governor John Wentworth and named for General Wolfe
who was the hero of the Battle of Quebec. The fact that Wentworth
built a mansion on Smith Pond (now Lake Wentworth) is the basis for
Wolfeboros claim as the oldest summer resort in America.
Wolfeboro began as a farming community with the
activity center being Dimons Corner. This settlement was on the
stage route from Dover to Conway. Lumber and the growth and sales
of apple products was a large part of early industry. Wolfeboro
Falls became know as Slab City for wood related activities carried
on there. Wood products remained a major local industry until the
early 20th century.
For many years the bridge or downtown Wolfeboro was
not the center of activity. Separate entities developed around
Dimons Corner, Goose Corner, South Wolfeboro, Pleasant Valley,
Wolfeboro Falls and Wolfeboro Center.
Beyond lumber and agriculture other industries came
to Wolfeboro over the years commencing in the last half of the 19th
century. These have included woolen blankets, shoes, clay pipes,
excelsior, dairy products, pewter, clothes, etc.
With the end of
the Civil War and the building of the Wolfeboro R.R. in 1872, the
tourist industry began to flourish. The Pavilion, the first hotel
of major significance was built in 1850 and was followed by several
others. The Mt. Washington launched in 1872 also brought in
tourists by water during the summer season. Tourism continues to be
a major industry for Wolfeboro.
Wolfeboro Historical Society
Post Cards Courtesy of the Edward Garrett Collection